Meet Masasa Mbangeni aka Thembeka of etv Soapie Harvest
30yr old Masasa Mbangeni, Known for her phenomenal portrayal of the conniving and ruthless Thembeka, in etv’s Scandal, has now landed herself a hot and challenging role in another TV series; Harvest.
Harvest focuses on the trials and tribulations of three women who fight for recognition in the high-stakes of the illegal business world, and SAFTA award-winner, Masasa Mbangeni, assumes the role of a leader in the business as Celia.
Here are some things you probably didn’t know about the talented actress:
1. Masasa was acknowledged by the South African Film and Television Awards (Saftas) and the Royalty Soapie Awards as the best actress in a soapie – making her the queen of soapies.
2. She received the Mandela Rhodes scholarship to pursue her studies at Wits, Bachelor of Arts in Dramatic Arts, majoring in Performance and Directing.
3. Mbangeni moved from Port Elizabeth; her birth place, to audition for a place at Wits University and in 2006 was enrolled for a dramatic arts degree.
4. She is obsessed with South African novelist, poet and playwright, Zakes Mda.
5. Masasa Mbangeni is an actress, theatre maker and director.
6. Amongst other challenges she’s encountered in her career is the pressure to stay relevant in an ever-changing industry, as well as over-coming self-doubt.
7. Masasa says she’s been blessed to have worked with incredible actors such as Sello Maake Ka Ncube, Nomhle Nkonyeni and Nthathi Moshesh — all whom inspired her decision to become an actress.
8. She took part in the Marie Claire naked campaign for 2015, in the aid of blow the whistle against sexual violence against women and children.
9. Although she loves acting, Masasa would also like to try her hand at producing and directing, and is already working on a few projects through her company, Bokamo Productions.
10.She was born on the 6th of March, 1987.